Not gonna lie. I’m really enjoying this All About Me Week. Today’s Woman Worth Knowing is me. To get to know me better, you can read my Q&A below, you can read my interviews over on Chloe Gets a Clue and Musings and Ramblings (the interview portion wasn’t up yesterday, but it is now!) Thank you to Chloe Gets a Clue, and Musings and Ramblings for hosting me on their sites today! Please go visit them.
Thanks so much to the Little Read Hens for hosting me all day on Tuesday. I had a great time clucking with you!
Now, Meet Lane
Name: Lane Buckman
Job Title: Writer…I guess I can call myself that, now.
- Who are you? Most of my descriptive identity seems to be tied up in being Joan’s daughter, B’s wife, and Thor’s mom, but I am also a little bit of every nickname I’ve ever had, and some of the nastier names I’ve been called combined. Mostly, I’m just pretty happy.
- What do you love most about your life? The people in it. I am so fortunate. I have so many good people around me.
- What do you love most about your work? As a writer, getting to entertain people. As a banker, my coworkers.
- Describe your family: My family is where I can be myself. My family is where I wear my spiritual yoga pants and just let all the Lane hang out. So, I’d tell you that my family is a gracious, loving, long-suffering lot because all the Lane hanging out can be…a lot of Lane.
- What does the first hour of your day look like? I get up and make coffee, then I spend 15, or 20 minutes reading comics and looking at Facebook. After that, it takes about 30 minutes to put my face and hair together, then I wake up Thor and get his day started.
- The last hour? The last hour is usually spent researching, writing, or trying to catch up on TV shows.
- What makes you feel successful? Sometimes I really have to think about it because I have a tendency to say to myself, “I did it, so how hard could it have been?” I very rarely give myself credit for the work I do until years after I’ve done it. The last time I felt really successful was when I saw Thor do something amazing for another child. I thought, “I put that in there! I have produced a kind person! Success!”
- What brings you joy? I’m such a broken record. My people bring me joy. My friends. My family. That kid. But I especially love it when I can make B laugh out loud.
- Which women do you most admire? Today, I most admire J.K. Rowling for the how she has addressed the need she sees around her, for her largesse, for her uncompromising stance on welfare and single parent homes, and because she invented Hermoine Granger.
- What do you like best about your closest friend? I have about five of these, and it’s the same in each one: She listens without judgment, and tells me the truth without whitewashing. I trust my girlfriends to be honest with me, even when they know I’m not going to like what they have to say. That’s a gift.
- What do you like best about yourself? I am a very decent human being. I am nowhere near perfect and won’t ever be, but I am kind-hearted, willing to give, and I genuinely care about other people. Just don’t cut me off in traffic.
- What advice would you give to boys about girls? Sometimes a girl will show you her body because she wants you to see her heart, and she has confused your interest in her breasts with an interest in her person. Always remember to see the Person when you are looking at the body. There’s nothing wrong with admiring beauty, but remember that respect is part of admiration.
- What is the best advice anyone has ever given you? Do what you have to do, and let the hairy side drag.
- How do you overcome adversity? I do what I need to do, and let the hairy side drag. Ha! I will generally give myself a set amount of time to moan, cry, or panic, then I make a list of what I need to do. I do the easiest thing first, and I chip away at it until it’s surmountable.
- How do you want to be remembered? I want the people I love to remember how much I loved them. I want everyone else to remember how much I loved my people, so they can remind my people all the time, “Oh my word! Lane loved you so much!”