I don’t have a baby any longer. If there had been any doubt, it was removed along with his first lost tooth tonight. I didn’t even know he had a loose tooth! I had no time to prepare myself for the paradigm shift between My Baby and My Gap Toothed Boy.
Tomorrow, he’ll be driving.
I pulled the tooth with thread. And in case anyone else is googling how to pull a tooth, like I did before employing my mother’s old method, here’s how to do it:
- Take a length of thread and double it, then make a slip knot.
- Put the slip knot around the loose tooth and tighten it.
- Tell the small child you are going to count to 3 and pull
- Count 1…2…3 and pull on the count of 2. If the tooth is loose enough, you’ll have it dangling on the end of the thread by the time you get to 3, and everyone will be happy.
- Congratulate your child on being brave, no matter how much they caterwauled. It is never easy to part with a piece of your body.
- Proceed with tooth fairy.